Know Your Blogger Series
Check out our Q&A with Tic Toc Life here.
During these weekly features, we are hoping to provide a way for you to interact and learn more about different blogs in the personal finance space.
Below, you can read more about the story behind Tic Toc Life, learn about the author, and learn personal finance tips from Tic Toc Life to help you improve your financial situation.
A big thanks for Tic Toc Life for this interview! Now, we will turn it over to the author for this interview.
Tell us about Tic Toc Life
What makes you and your blog unique?
What does “being good with your personal finances” mean to you?
- Awareness: understand what money can unlock in life and how you’ve employed it to your advantage
- Planning: create evolving goals that reflect the purpose of your wealth
- Intentionality: spend money to solve a problem, save money for a reason
What are some habits you practice to keep your personal finances in order?
- We focus on value instead of price. This is a privilege of having money: when a particular set of running shoes went on a closeout sale that Chris loves, he purchased 3 sets to use over time.
- Finding healthy, fun, challenging ways to fill your normal day-to-day life when you’ve got more free time (retired early, semi retired, part-time, etc) is important. Sure, we could afford to drive to pickup groceries, but we’d rather take a 10 minute walk, get fresh air, and build up our shoulder muscles on the trek back. If you remove all challenges, chores, and tasks from your life through money—you’re going to have a lot of time to fill on your hands that might lure you into too much sedentary entertainment.
- Whether something (a tool, clothes, stuff) is cheap or expensive has little bearing on how we treat it. We want our things to last, partly out of an attempt to reduce waste, but also because we don’t want to constantly feel the need to upgrade and replace them. It’s a lot of effort and mental weight to research, review, and buy new stuff that we’d rather spend on activities that bring more value to our lives.
What are your three articles people should read to get to know you and your message better on your site?
- How to Become a Millionaire in 10 Years (Debt to $1.2M at 33)
(By both of us)
Our thirteen-year saga from student loan debt, to graduate school, shifting careers, and starting two businesses. At the lowest point, we went from a negative $107K net worth to $1.2M in nine years. This is how we became millionaires and reached financial independence.
- 3 Steps to Conquer Your Fears of DIY Mistakes (And More!)
After 7 years of holding back, I conquered my fears and finished my DIY project. Start now with my 3 steps to get past your fear of making mistakes!
- This Is the Power of FU Money (and How I Was Escorted Out)
For someone looking to improve their financial situation, what’s your best advice?
What’s an area of your life which has benefited from improving your personal finances? Have there been any areas of your life that have suffered?
In your opinion, what’s better? Focusing on increasing your income, or focusing on decreasing your expenses?
Do you have any financial mistakes you’d like to share, and how have you grown from these mistakes to improve your personal finances?
- I blew half my net worth gambling on the stock market (nowadays we stick to index funds instead of individual stocks)
- When I moved to the big city for a corporate job, I bought the life to go with it—and $52K worth of lifestyle inflation through my apartment choice
- I turned a lifelong hobby into a business that earned $1.3M over a few years—a passionate hobby that turned into a job and sucked the fun out of it
What’s a non-money related interest you have and what do you love about it?
Why do you believe learning about money and caring about personal finance is important?
How You Can Contact Tic Toc Life for More Information
Thank you for reading this interview, and thank you, Tic Toc Life, for providing us with some great personal finance tips!
About the Know Your Blogger Series
Each week, Personal Finance Blogs features a personal finance blogger for you to learn more about who is behind the different blogs in the personal finance space.
These interviews also provide different viewpoints and tips for improving your financial situation. Check out a couple other recent interviews below, or see them all of the past blogger features here.